Monday, December 19, 2016

Blog Post 9: Course Reflection

I actually learned some cool things in CS108 that I fully intend to take with me after I graduate. One of the biggest things was being able to classify games based on the MDA framework of the game. To me, this was the absolute biggest thing. I loved playing board games. I'm naturally a competitive guy by nature and always look for ways to dominate my friends in. Sports and video games come to mind when I seek a competitive outlet, but often times my peers would just refuse to play because they knew about the large skill or athletic discrepancies. Board games, however, were the best battleground because often times it starts on even ground and was really a battle of minds. The gloating was still the same though. With the newfound knowledge of MDA frameworks, I could quickly identify what would be great games and what could be mediocre games. To me, the dynamics was the most important aspect of the game. I loved the depth. Aesthetics can come and go but a game rich in dynamics was what I enjoyed.

This thought process is what segued towards my board game. In retrospect, it really was a board game that might have been a bit too simple. Perhaps if I revisit the board game I would introduce more complexities, but I remember the simplicity of the board game is what created the most dynamism.

Were it not for Morgan's class on Game Studies I don't think I would have been able to make many of the associations in both video games and board games. Throughout the class, I really enjoyed playing games the most. I had a really fun time showing off my old school gamer skills and beat Wizard Wizard in front of the class. Reading and designing to me actually wasn't that appealing but overall, this was a kickass class.

Old school games were and are the best

No comments:

Post a Comment